Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Possibly the Quickest Trip to Turkey and Greece...

My favorite part about traveling is not knowing what a place will be like until you get there – some destinations are all hype and some do not disappoint. The good thing about my job is that it allows me to catch a sneak peak at places I may want to return to in the future and that is something I am definitely thankful for. This time, I went on an an ITV upgrade on Royal Caribbean's Navigator of the Seas.
I usually give a good recap of the places I visit, but honestly I was only in Athens and Kusadasi long enough to give you a first impression.
Athens, Greece
The Acropolis is situated in the middle of a city and then bam. There it is. About two right turns from a Starbucks – you just have to laugh. I can only imagine its grandeur when it was first built. First off, please do not let the sleeze bags take your money and convince you that they are doing YOU a favor. From the train station where most tourists arrive, it is a 15 min drive to the attractions. If you get in a cab, make sure you do not pay more than 20 Euro. They all speak English and they will all try to talk you into all kinds of things all day long. If you purchase the ticket for the Acropolis, it costs 12 Euro and you get access to the rest of the sites. Don’t take the tour bus. A note of warning, it can be quite windy and dusty – as in, if you wear white and don’t wear sunglasses, you will come out blind and wearing brown.

There are a good amount of nice, reasonably priced cafes all around. Ask for something traditional and don’t get a Caesar salad. Do try the olives!! (ps – this is why I gain so much weight when I travel often. Seriously though, how can you ever guarantee you will be in such a cool place?

Things to see..
The karyatides statues
Theater of Dionysus


I wasn't expecting such a large crowd or the construction occuring onsite


View from the top



It was so dusty and dirty that my foot was literally two different colors




We refused to pay more money for two cabs - cram cram cram!


No comments:

Post a Comment